Home

Tuesday 1 July 2014

Joseph Yobo: "I Wanted To Leave On A High For My Country"



Nigerian Super Eagles coach, Stephen Keshi and defender, Joseph Yobo, surprised Nigerians last night when they both announced they were quitting the national team following our FIFA World Cup defeat to France yesterday.

The Super Eagles had pushed France hard in their second round match in Brasilia only for Paul Pogba’s late header and a last-gasp own goal by Yobo to seal a 2-0 win for Les Bleus.

Explaining his decision, Yobo told BBC Sport it was a sad but glorious end to his own international career. He said:
This is it! I can look back on my career with great pride. I wanted to leave on a high for my country. Defeat by France was not the right way to go but I’m happy with all I’ve done for the national team.
It’s time to give a chance to other people to come through. Our football has a bright future and I am confident this team can achieve success sooner rather than later.”

Yobo is Nigeria’s most capped player with 100 appearances and will continue to play club football.
He also surpassed Jay-Jay Okocha’s record of nine World Cup matches for the Super Eagles, his was 10.
Coach Stephen Keshi had resigned his post once before, a day after winning last year’s CAF Africa Cup of Nations, and now says:
“It’s time for me to go back to my family and face fresh challenges.”

No comments:

Post a Comment